Replies: 87   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 2:44 PM

fom

On 10/20/2013 6:06 PM, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 20/10/2013 5:01 PM, fom wrote:

>>> You're a fucking hypocrite.
>>>

>> What did I do when asked to provide my formal system?
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/sci.math/ZmeoaTpI28A/Vuy-USrWOt0J
>>

>> I provided it.
>>
>> Do you see how that works?
>>
>> By the way, I read quite a bit.

> What did you constructively provide with your "Start reading more and
> using your mouth less", prior to which I had been very polite and
> technical in responding to you?

A suggestion which might improve your understanding
of the issues here.

Outside of your readings dedicated to first-order
logic with identity, can you answer the question:

"What is logic?"

Perhaps that is too vague. Here is another small
batch of questions:

Apparently, Alonzo Church described Bertrand Russell's
logic as "intensional". Can you explain that term?
Is mathematical logic "intensional"? If so, why?
If not, then what kind of logic is it, and, why is
it classified as it is?

I am guessing that you cannot answer these questions
without some research.

Historically, I have focused very little attention
to arithmetic. I might even give credence to the
statements in your "metaproofs". But, this is only
because my sense of logical priority tells me it is
a mistake to use numbers from within a theory to
skeptically discount the statements of a theory.

Nevertheless, metamathematics has done precisely that.
As a consequence, one may only ask if a metamathematical
result such as Goedel's incompleteness theorem is faithful
to the task toward which it had been directed. There is
simply no reason to think otherwise. To the contrary,
it an unparalleled success.

So, do you understand Hilbert's program of metamathematics
toward which Goedel's efforts had been directed?

If not, how do you know that your assumptions are not
in error concerning the meaning of the theorem?

Date Subject Author
namducnguyen
Peter Percival
LudovicoVan