Replies: 87   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 2:44 PM

fom

On 10/20/2013 8:09 PM, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 20/10/2013 5:29 PM, fom wrote:

>>> What did you constructively provide with your "Start reading more and
>>> using your mouth less", prior to which I had been very polite and
>>> technical in responding to you?
>>>

>> A suggestion which might improve your understanding
>> of the issues here.
>>
>> Outside of your readings dedicated to first-order
>> logic with identity, can you answer the question:
>>
>> "What is logic?"
>>
>> Perhaps that is too vague. Here is another small
>> batch of questions:
>>
>> Apparently, Alonzo Church described Bertrand Russell's
>> logic as "intensional". Can you explain that term?
>> Is mathematical logic "intensional"? If so, why?
>> If not, then what kind of logic is it, and, why is
>> it classified as it is?
>>
>> I am guessing that you cannot answer these questions
>> without some research.
>>
>> Historically, I have focused very little attention
>> to arithmetic. I might even give credence to the
>> statements in your "metaproofs". But, this is only
>> because my sense of logical priority tells me it is
>> a mistake to use numbers from within a theory to
>> skeptically discount the statements of a theory.
>>
>> Nevertheless, metamathematics has done precisely that.
>> As a consequence, one may only ask if a metamathematical
>> result such as Goedel's incompleteness theorem is faithful
>> to the task toward which it had been directed. There is
>> simply no reason to think otherwise. To the contrary,
>> it an unparalleled success.
>>
>> So, do you understand Hilbert's program of metamathematics
>> toward which Goedel's efforts had been directed?
>>
>> If not, how do you know that your assumptions are not
>> in error concerning the meaning of the theorem?

> So, now we seem to have reversed the roles: you play the "nasty" Nam
> Nguyen keep asking questions in the middle of explanation and I play
> the role of "nice" fom who wouldn't ask questions in his explaining
> issues.
>
> Any rate, this conversation started from your:
>

> > Well, one interpretation of the problem is
> > that anything based upon "what is prior" and
> > "what is posterior" with a first step is
> > interpretable relative to the ordinal sequence
> > of natural numbers.

> to which you I responded:
>

> >> Kindly let me and the fora know what your _FORMAL definition_
> >> of the "natural numbers". I don't know what your definition
> >> is so I don't see any relevance between your paragraph above and my
> >> thesis here. (For the record, my definition of the concept of natural
> >> numbers is such that it could be only of _informal knowledge_ ).

> The issue is I would like to examine the state of _formality_ of your
> "natural-numbers" definition, since according to my definition the
> concept would be _informal_ .
>
> Now you did give a link defining _your_ definition of "natural-numbers".
> I'm always critical of any idea to claim the definition of "natural
> numbers" be formal.

> [...]

I have additions to be made. I am constructing a representation
for the usual notion as associated with Peano arithmetic as a
system of relations within the theory expressed by those axioms.

But, yes, that is the groundwork.

It his, however, mathematics. How it is arrived at by me
has not yet been pursued.

So, whereas I have a good idea of how I understand its formal
character, perhaps you should share your notion of formality.
This will give me some sense of whether or not I am jeopardy
with respect to your notions.

Date Subject Author
namducnguyen
Peter Percival