Topic: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM

Daniel Knaisch

RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?

The whole point of the common core was to dig deeper into less topics so that students develop an understanding of how and why things work. With this, they are to apply that knowledge to do various problems. The issue though is that we as teachers are supposed to do a 180 on how we teach, but the students aren't going to do a 180 on how they learn. They have been "trained" for years that a teacher generally shows how to do a problem and students repeat. This new way of thinking for the students might work in 10 years after a first grader has been "trained" this way, but since the state threw this at us with no time for students to adjust, we run into these problems. I am sure though that the state will not last 10 yrs in this curriculum to see if it actually works or not.

Daniel Knaisch
Math Teacher
Elmira Free Academy
933 Hoffman St
Elmira, NY 14905
(607)735-3100 ext: 5491
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] on behalf of Jamie D [jdymond@lmcs.k12.ny.us]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:33 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Algebra 1 - How is it going?

For those of you teaching the new Common Core Algebra 1, how's it going? Are you following the modules?

I've been trying to follow the modules but I'm finding that the lessons just don't work with my students. They seemed to be aimed at an audience that isn't 9th grade students. I find that the lessons take so long to build on concepts that students have no time to actually practice and be able to do the required work successfully. For example, look at Lesson 23 on solving systems with elimination. Most of the lesson is designed around why the elimination method works and there is no time for practice. Sure, they were supposed to do this in 8th grade, but based on how they did with polynomials and other topics, I'm sure they won't remember much. The polynomials lessons were the same thing - lots of exploration and building but no actual practice. I'm finding that my students are less capable of adding/subtracting/multiplying polynomials than they were in the past.

I'm finding that the lessons have little to no flow while teaching them nor do they have coherence from lesson to lesson. More of a splattering of somewhat related topics that rarely even get mentioned in future lessons. I always did a lot of real world applications and these new lessons don't include anything "cool" like that, they take the individuality and creativity out of teaching.

These modules appear to be doing the opposite of what the common core is trying to accomplish. There is less cohesion and less real world application so how is this going to lead to more students who are college and career ready?

Am I crazy or are others experiencing the same things?
*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message, including any attachments, is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential information that is legally privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient or you otherwise received this message in error, be advised that any reliance on or use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply email or by telephone at (607) 735-3000 and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.
*

Date Subject Author
10/22/13
Read Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/22/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jessica Walter
10/23/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
ElizWaite@aol.com
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Math4you
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jeff Richards
10/23/13
Read Re: RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
GPJ