Topic: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM

Jeff Richards

RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
att1.html (14.0 K)

I agree that there's a lot to learn from each other and that it's important to keep it a friendly discourse. That's why I take exception to the generalization Liz made. I sincerely doubt that quality teachers were in the past 'training students not to think.'

'What we had before,' should be qualified as well.

Jeff

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Gene Jordan
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:53 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?

First, I think we should keep this a friendly discourse.
I learn a lot from the list-serv on how and what people are doing and enjoy some of the banter.

I think how were asking kids to think and explain with this curriculum is changing. So I agree with Liz, that if we rely only on "I do, we do, you do" it limits the amount of thinking in classrooms. We probably agree that it's a balance between "exploration" and "Problem Sets", and for me the modules missed the mark. But it was more than we had before.

The modules are imperfect interpretations of the standards that were made for teachers to see an example of how they could be taught.
~ Gene Jordan