Replies: 87   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 2:44 PM

Peter Percival

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 24/10/2013 6:58 AM, Peter Percival wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>

>>> The game of symbol manipulation is there to stay with FOL=, nonetheless.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter what philosophical motivation you might have had, it's
>>> part of the definition of reasoning with rules of inference in FOL with
>>> identity: either you'd conform to it, or betray it.
>>>
>>> Godel betrayed it, and so have we.

>> Gödel's incompleteness theorem isn't about FOL=.

> You're wrong of course.
>
> What Godel wrote on his seminar paper:
>
> "This situation is not due in some way to the special nature of the
> systems set up, but holds for a very extensive class of formal
> systems".
>
> Note his "formal systems" would refer to what's known today as
> First Order Logic with equality, and note that his "class of formal
> systems" would include the "set theory of Zermelo-Fraenkel" (his words),
> which is today known as ZF (of First Order Logic with equality).

You are confusing first order logic with identity (which is surely what
"FOL=" stands for) with first order theories. FOL= has only logical
axioms (if it has any at all), that's why it's called logic. A first
order theory may have non-logical axioms. That "very extensive class of
formal systems" are theories with non-logical axioms. It is the
non-logical axioms that lead to incompleteness, FOL= is complete..

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Lincoln at Gettysburg

Date Subject Author
namducnguyen
Peter Percival