Topic: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Replies: 37   Last Post: Oct 28, 2013 1:31 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.

It is not a non sequitur Lou; an obviously tongue-in-cheek
exaggeration of reality? Of course, but not non sequitur. How we
educate or, better said, fail to educate both ends of the innate
spectrum and prior competence/current willingness-to-study-seriously
spectrum is an abomination. In a well-run, grade-level standards
environment, simple grade advancement along with proper initial
placement and a ready willingness to retain another year (or
half-year if the school is large enough to make that workable) would
be a huge step in the right direction. As a deep believer in the
appropriateness of proof-based Euclidean geometry for an introduction
to deductive logic and proof, its removal for all students because
it's hard is an abomination. It took about 2500 years to kill Euclid
but we finally got the job done.

On the topic itself, who cares? As usual, Bob has it
right. Implications for the teaching of mathematics? Essentially
none; same as we do in kindergarten for eventual artists, athletes,
and other things we value. It is unfortunate that mathematics
doesn't get the same "discrimination" as students develop; we miss
far too many even though a solid math base greases the skids for
later academic success, even in non-math disciplines, more than
almost anything else. Failure to develop a solid base in math-based
disciplines? Statistically speaking, they're doomed.

Wayne

At 11:21 AM 10/24/2013, Louis Talman wrote:
>A predictable non sequitur, Wayne.
>
>Surely you can do better than that.
>

>On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:59:52 -0600, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu>
>wrote:
>

>>Great news! Now we liberals can start our ever-so-egalitarian soft
>>bigotry of low expectations dumbing down school for everyone much
>>earlier than we thought! A little superb postnatal care for all and we
>>can prohibit the sale of discriminatory toys such as that one where the
>>child sticks squares in the square holes, stars in the star holes, etc.
>>Are blocks too much?
>>
>>Wayne
>>
>>At 06:09 PM 10/23/2013, Louis Talman wrote:

>>>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131022170828.htm
>>>

>>>- --Louis A. Talman
>>> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
>>> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>>>
>>> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

>--
>Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Date Subject Author
10/23/13
Read The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Louis Talman
10/24/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Robert Hansen
10/24/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Robert Hansen
10/24/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Joe Niederberger
10/24/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Wayne Bishop
10/24/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Louis Talman
10/25/13
[...]
GS Chandy
10/25/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
GS Chandy
10/25/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Joe Niederberger
10/25/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Robert Hansen
10/25/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Joe Niederberger
10/26/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Robert Hansen
10/26/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Joe Niederberger
10/27/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Robert Hansen
10/27/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Joe Niederberger
10/27/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Robert Hansen
10/27/13
Read Re: The monkey-sense is more important than you think.
Joe Niederberger
10/28/13