Topic: Sequence limit
Replies: 72   Last Post: Nov 26, 2013 12:07 AM

Roland Franzius

Re: Sequence limit

Am 05.10.2013 09:04, schrieb quasi:
> Roland Franzius wrote:
>> quasi wrote:
>>>
>>> How do you justify the claim
>>>
>>> abs(sin(eps_j)) < (1/2)*eps_j
>>>
>>> ??

>> We called it the epsilon trick.

> Definitely quite a trick since, for 0 < eps_j < Pi/2, the above
> inequality is always false.

The conjecture that liminf_{n -> oo} |sin n|^(1/n) = 1 seems more or
less plausible from computer experiments.

Using Mathematica, I just checked the first 50 continued fraction
approximations of pi which give the series of best rational bounds of pi
within one unit of the denominator

cf(pi,n) = a_n/b_n

then

log a_n is prop 1.15 n

and

log|(sin a_n)| is prop - 1.15 n

and for n<50

0.5 < a_n * sin a_n < 1.5

For n greater than 55 my system with 8 GB gives up.

Of course these experiments do not rule out, that very good
approximations of pi occur infinitely often, but to me it seems more or
less improbable that a subseries a_n_k of approximations giving

liminf |sin(a_n_k)|^1/(a_n_k) < 1

may exist.

See more on

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiContinuedFraction.html

for the series q_n ^(1/n) for the denominators q_n with a seemingly
constant limit which according to Eric Weisstein has not yet proven.

Here n is the index of the n-th denominator in the truncated continued
fraction series. After complete cancellation of common factors, the
denominators and numerators grow exponentially with the index.

--

Roland Franzius

Date Subject Author
10/3/13