Topic: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM

ELEANOREVO@aol.com

Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
att1.html (5.8 K)

First, I am retired, so I am not "immersed" in the Core Curriculum. From everything I've read and heard I am advising parents of students in Math 5, Math 6, Math 7, Math 8 and Algebra I to get tutors for their children if they have had any difficulty in math last year. The amount of material and the new approach will cause so much stress among weaker students, that I'm afraid they will not graduate.

Eleanore Vollweiler
Retired Math Teacher
George Junior Republic Union Free School District

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick B <nbiancul@ic.sunysb.edu>
To: nyshsmath <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Sent: Sun, Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am
Subject: Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?

This thread is specifically about Algebra 1. Are there any teachers who feel
positively about the Algebra 1 modules or curriculum? I have read very few or no
posts that have alluded to victories in Algebra 1, with possibly the exception
of the graphing story topics. I personally have seen students become frustrated
and alienated by this curriculum. I would love to hear from teachers who have a
positive view of how their classes have gone this year. These teachers should
share what they have thought the positives have been and share their
implementation strategies.

One of the core issues here (no pun intended) is that the algebra 1 curriculum
has too many topics. The writers of the modules, well-intentioned, had to
contend with a curriculum that moves forward assuming mastery of past grades
because that's the only way to fit in all of the topics that are covered in this
course. The modules sacrificed practice and flow in favor of coverage and
modeling, violating the shifts of coherence, deep understanding, and dual
intensity. Could anyone really describe the theme of Algebra 1 module 1 in one
sentence? Two sentences? A paragraph?

Unless you are teaching the Algebra 1 course or are carefully monitoring the
situation, this can be perceived as whining or shirking the hard work that needs
to be done. However, I can assure you that teachers are working as hard as they
can, but are feeling (rightly so) intense frustration.

My middle school colleagues report that the number and complexity of the
standards in their grades are much more manageable. And 65-70% of the students
in those courses still scored 1 or 2 on the state assessments. I shudder to
think what the Regents will show in June.

I support the promise of the Common Core. It's unfortunate that the promise of
the Common Core will be obfuscated by faulty and visionless implementation,
namely:

1. No trial or grace period to see how the standards will work in classrooms.
2. Standardized tests that teachers will have little knowledge of before the
test is given.
3. (This is specific to Algebra 1) The assumption that students will be ready
for ninth grade Common Core Algebra 1 coming from just one year of
indoctrination in Common Core.
3. Standards that can be interpreted in many ways and taught at many different
levels of depth.
4. Modules that need to be edited due to errors and feedback from the field.
5. The conflation of student assessment, teacher assessment, and a changing
curriculum; it will be extremely difficult looking back after 5 years or so to
decide which reforms are working and which aren't.
6. Lack of true leadership in the field regarding what to teach and at what
depth to teach it, due to standards that do not specify this.
7. No contingency for students with disabilities or students coming to us with
abilities several grades below their chronological age.
8. Lack of truly Common Core Aligned resources (most textbooks are old texts
with a Common Core sticker appended to the front.)

All of these concerns should have been either solved or made clear that they
would be solved before the rollout of the CC with high-stakes testing. It's a
shame that a reform with ideals many teachers support would be implemented in
such a terrible way that puts the reform movement at grave risk of being
rejected by teachers, administrators, parents and, most of all, students.

Take away the high-stakes testing for a few years and replace it with
informational testing so that teachers and students alike can use the
assessments for learning, as opposed as assessments of learning. Create
alternate forms of assessment for students who are under-assessed by
paper-and-pencil tests. Address the concerns above before implementation, rather
than "building the airplane as we're flying it". Then the Common Core will see
its full potential.
*

Date Subject Author
10/22/13
Read Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/22/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jessica Walter
10/23/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
ElizWaite@aol.com
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Math4you
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jeff Richards
10/23/13
Read Re: RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
GPJ