Topic: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM

michelle Van Etten

From: Moravia High School
Registered: 6/24/09
Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
att1.html (8.1 K)

Nick,
Yes I feel positive about the modules. Yes the first unit that I was
dreading like crazy over the summer was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the
lessons and so did the kids. The homework was a challenge to say the
least. To think my students come with mastery is ridiculous. The current
state of middle school practice we don't even require basic skill level
before moving to the next grade level. So if we have never done common
core, done it for a year or have done it for ten years I'm still going to
have students in ninth grade algebra who can not multiply by negative one
in their head. I have found that the homework assignments ask them to do a
lot of thinking on their own and use skills from previous courses. I've
added my own homework assignments and review many days when I felt like the
problem sets were going to be more challenging than the lesson itself. Then
in my own homework I can add in more practice which yes I agree I feel as
if the modules are lacking. I'm probably also going "too slow" although I
feel as if I'm going at an appropriate pace for my students. I have also
created all of my own assessments materials.
The lessons are hard. They are hard for the students and they are
difficult for me to implement. I don't know that I would say that's a
negative. It is a significant change for me and my students. For my
classes and my students it really asks them to think conceptually about the
material at a level that has never been asked of them. I think that's
great. My students have far to often wanted to memorize a process or
wanted a quick easy answer. This is not a quick easy fix but I feel like
the modules are a step in the right direction for creating students who can
thinking about math logically and will be able to apply the skills to new
situations. The hard part for both students and teachers is this is not
something we will be able to see next week. There won't be a wow look at
all this hard work and now my students persevere and are problem solvers..
this is going to take longer. But.... if we want real change it's not
going to come easy.
The state exam. If I thought that this year's common core exam scores were
going to matter for anything I might be freaked out. We have the option to
take the Integrated Algebra regents and so I can't imagine not taking it.
This way I can say I know my students will graduate and I know that there
scores on their transcripts will not be dreadful because at the end of the
year I can prepare them for the "old" regents exam. The common core
regents is just a trial run. No one has to do well. If every single one
of my students fail it, oh well. The vast majority of my students will
pass the Integrated algebra regents including more than a handful that
shouldn't pass a state final.
I think that using the modules verbatim is ridiculous. But then, to think
I could use my own lessons from the past ten years exactly as they are is
equally ridiculous. I can plan the same lesson and teach it three
different ways in one day. I have to modify all of my own lessons on the
spot every day why wouldn't I have to modify a text?
Michelle Van Etten
Moravia High School

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Nick B <nbiancul@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> describe the theme of Algebra 1 module 1 in one sentence? Two sentences? A
> paragraph?
>
> Unless you are teaching the Algebra 1 course or are carefully monitoring
> the situation, this can be perceived as whining or shirking the hard work
> that needs to be done. However, I can assure you that teachers are working
> as hard as they can, but are feeling (rightly so) intense frustration.
>
> My middle school colleagues report that the number and complexity of the
> standards in their grades are much more manageable. And 65-70% of the
> students in those courses still scored 1 or 2 on the state assessments. I
> shudder to think what the Regents will show in June.
>
> I support the promise of the Common Core. It's unfortunate that the
> promise of the Common Core will be obfuscated by faulty and visionless
> implementation, namely:
>
> 1. No trial or grace period to see how the standards will work in
> classrooms.
> 2. Standardized tests that teachers will have little knowledge of before
> the test is given.
> 3. (This is specific to Algebra 1) The assumption that students will be
> ready for ninth grade Common Core Algebra 1 coming from just one year of
> indoctrination in Common Core.
> 3. Standards that can be interpreted in many ways and taught at many
> different levels of depth.
> 4. Modules that need to be edited due to errors and feedback from the
> field.
> 5. The conflation of student assessment, teacher assessment, and a
> changing curriculum; it will be extremely difficult looking back after 5
> years or so to decide which reforms are working and which aren't.
> 6. Lack of true leadership in the field regarding what to teach and at
> what depth to teach it, due to standards that do not specify this.
> 7. No contingency for students with disabilities or students coming to us
> with abilities several grades below their chronological age.
> 8. Lack of truly Common Core Aligned resources (most textbooks are old
> texts with a Common Core sticker appended to the front.)
>
> All of these concerns should have been either solved or made clear that
> they would be solved before the rollout of the CC with high-stakes testing.
> It's a shame that a reform with ideals many teachers support would be
> implemented in such a terrible way that puts the reform movement at grave
> risk of being rejected by teachers, administrators, parents and, most of
> all, students.
>
> Take away the high-stakes testing for a few years and replace it with
> informational testing so that teachers and students alike can use the
> assessments for learning, as opposed as assessments of learning. Create
> alternate forms of assessment for students who are under-assessed by
> paper-and-pencil tests. Address the concerns above before implementation,
> rather than "building the airplane as we're flying it". Then the Common

Date Subject Author
10/22/13
Read Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/22/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jessica Walter
10/23/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
ElizWaite@aol.com
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Math4you
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jeff Richards
10/23/13
Read Re: RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
GPJ