Topic: Is there a way to calculate an average ranking from uneven lists?
Replies: 12   Last Post: Nov 2, 2013 12:55 PM

Virgil

Re: Is there a way to calculate an average ranking from uneven lists?

In article <j0sr695ffuelprtlh8akljk2118t3buhpl@4ax.com>,
Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:48 -0600, Virgil <virgil@ligriv.com> wrote:
>

> >In article <2ivq699o8a81ppiu5qognbecbgm9et2sov@4ax.com>,
> > Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@jm.invalid> wrote:

> >> In the lists I have, the highest ranking entity is R=1, the lowest is
> >> R=N. For that, I think the formula is (N-R)/(N-1). No?

> >Works for me!

> >> Two questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Do I then just average the ranks across the lists?

> >That ought to work. but th effect of your averaging will be to compress
> >the pattern of rankings towards o.5 with fewer near either 1 or 0.

> Yes, but isn't this what we want? Are you suggesting that this is a
> problem?

NO, but it is an effect you shuold be prepared for.

> If a book is ranked high and low on different lists, then the "average"
> rank would be more in the middle. If a book is close to the top in most
> lists, then the average ranking would be closer to the top.
>
> The term regression to the mean" comes to mind...
>

> >> 2. What scaled rank do I use for a book that is not ranked in a list?
> >
> >If no preferences are evident, I would either leave it out entirely

> Are you suggesting that the composite list only include books that are
> on ALL lists? That would have the effect of making the final list
> smaller and smaller as the number of lists increases. This is the
> opposite effect that I want to achieve.

What I meant was to give any book not mentioned in a particular list the
lowest possible score for that list or even invent a "lower than
mentioned" score for each list.

> >or give each book mentioned the same score of 0.5 ( or 50%).
>
> Do you mean that we add all of the books that are any list to all of the
> lists and assign any that do not have a ranking the 0.5 value? On a list
> of 1,000 books, this would have the effect of giving a book that did not
> even make the list, a ranking higher than half of the books that did.

No, what I mean is something like giving each book a plus score for each
mention but no score at all for a non-mention.

> Let's consider some actual data. Here are 3 sample lists each containing
> 5 books, but not the same 5 books:
>
> Rank List 1 List 2 List 3
> 1 A B F
> 2 B A H
> 3 C E C
> 4 D G D
> 5 E D A
>
> When listed by book, the data looks like this:
>
> List 1 List 2 List 3
> Books Rank Rank Rank
> Book A 1 2 5
> Book B 2 1
> Book C 3 3
> Book D 4 5 4
> Book E 5 3
> Book F 1
> Book G 4
> Book H 2
>
> How would you calculate average rankings?

Any way you try will have several drawbacks.
Clearly books D and E reviewed fairly well and book G did not,
but the reasom why a particular reviewer did or did not review a
particular book may well have nothing at all to do with the book's
quality but be related to its subject matter, its publisher, or sheer
happenstance.