Topic: Exporting "Speak" to an audio file?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 28, 2013 11:04 PM

Itai Seggev

Re: Exporting "Speak" to an audio file?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:39:08AM -0400, David Bailey wrote:
> On 25/10/2013 04:47, Brentt wrote:
> > Thank you. I thought for sure I just was missing the functionality in the
> > documents, thanks for giving me a definitive answer. It is a strange

> choice
> > to omit the functionality.
> >

> Well of course, it is hard for me to be definitive about missing
> functionality - maybe it is buried somewhere documented or otherwise! It
> might be interesting to send it in as a query to Wolfram support, and
> see what they have to say - who knows, it might even goad them into
> fixing the problem!

I have passed on the suggestion to the relevant developers, for both Speak and
midi sounds.

I know that in the case of MIDI sounds, the reason this is not so simple is
because Mathematica itself doesn't generate the wave forms--we pass on the
notes to the operating system to generate using whatever hardware/software it
uses. I imagine for Speak the situation might be similar. Which isn't to say
we can't or won't improve the situation, just that it is not the 5 minute
project it might appear to be.

--
Itai Seggev
Mathematica Algorithms R&D