Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Dan Christensen

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:51:13 AM UTC-4, Bart Goddard wrote:

> statements. You're proposing to extend exponentiation from
>
> N to N_0, but somehow exponentiation isn't extended to 0.

On the contrary, I have defined exponentiation on all of N_0. 0^0 is assumed to be a natural number. It just hasn't been assigned a value, thus formalizing the longstanding practice of nearly 2 centuries of leaving 0^0 "undefined."

My definition of ^:

1. ^: NxN --> N
2. x^0 = 1 for x=/=0 (note the use of the 0-exponent)
3. x^(y+1) = x^y * x

From this definition, for 0-bases, we can also derive 0^x = 0 for x=/0. So, as usual, your claim is baseless.

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com