Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Dan Christensen

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:42:11 PM UTC-4, Bart Goddard wrote:
> Dan Christensen <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> > If, for some reason, you don't want to call it a definition, call it a
>
> > theorem.
>

> No. It is neither.
>
> You're claiming to extend exponentiation to N_0, but
>
> all of your rules say "nonzero base."

[snip]

Nothing wrong with that. Mathematicians have being doing this implicitly for nearly two centuries. Now, it has a rigorous foundation.

> seen. If you keep saying "nonzero base", then you
>
> haven't done anything about 0, so there is no extention.
>

> >In practice, it makes no difference.
>

> Of course it makes a difference. If you extend
>
> exponentiation to N_0, then 0^0 has to mean something,

0^0 is an unspecified natural number.

> if you make it mean anything but 0 or 1, then you
>
> get contradiction. Of 0^0 doesn't mean anything,
>
> then you haven't done any extending.

Again, my definition refers specifically to 0-exponents, and I have referred here to a theorem concerning 0-bases that can be derived from that definition. Sure sounds like "extending" to me.

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen