Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Dan Christensen

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:56:12 PM UTC-4, Peter Percival wrote:
> Dan Christensen wrote:

> >> Specifying is a human activity. So there is Dan who hasn't specified
>

> >> it,
>

> > I am in good company going back to, Cauchy himself.
>

> I think I've asked you before if Cauchy was referring to natural number
>
> exponentiation or real/complex exponentiation. I suspect the latter.

Like I said the last time, it doesn't matter. Recall that the natural numbers are just a subset of the real numbers. Again 1+1=2 whether 1 and 2 are in N or in R.

> If x^y =df e^{y log x} then x = 0 is indeed problematic; but that isn't
>
> the definition of natural number exponentiation.

I think I have taken care of exponentiation on N as well.

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen