Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Virgil

In article <XnsA26BE4E8ADCECgoddardbenetscapenet@74.209.136.90>,
Bart Goddard <goddardbe@netscape.net> wrote:

> Dan Christensen <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote in
>

> > As I have said repeatedly, it is assumed to be a natural number, but
> > no specific value is assigned to it. So, yes, that makes it
> > "undefined." What is your point, Barty?

> The point, as I've said repeatedly, is that your
> "theorem" assumes that it has a value. If it's not
> defined, then it has no value (or meaning.) Contradiction.
> 0^1 is defined in terms of 0^0. So now, 0^1 is
> undefined.

I believe that x^1 can be defined as x for all real x,
without requiring any definition for x^0 at all,
and then x^2 can be defined as (x^1)*x for all real x.
--

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen
Brian Q. Hutchings