Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Bart Goddard

Dan Christensen <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote in news:022664b8-
1c23-4019-aa26-dfc743b4d169@googlegroups.com:

>> So you're not leaving 0^0 undefined after all
>
> Yes, I am. Get over it, Barty.

And:

>> That's hardly "undefined." Maybe "indeterminate" is what
>> you're looking for.

> In practice, it amounts to the say thing: You can't assume that
> 0^0 has any particular value -- not 1 or 0 or any other number.
> Deal with it, Barty.

It's certainly a trait of people who can't think that they
usually communicate by means of tired cliches. "Deal with
it" and "get over it" are the equivalent of a preteen
rolling his eyes and slamming his bedroom door.

Note that we have another contradiction: Now you say
that we CAN'T define 0^0. Before, you said we CAN
define it to be anything we please. You need to make
up your mind.

Also, "in practice, it amounts to the same thing" is
hardly a statement of mathematical rigor. Your big
assertion is that you have "rigorously" extended
exponentiation to N_0. Now we see that your "rigor"
is, in fact, quite sloppy. In practice, 0.999999999999
is equal to one, but rigorously, it's not.

(And other readers, please note: I did NOT type
.9 repeating.)

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen
Brian Q. Hutchings