Topic: the ugly contradiction at the heart of High School Geometry #35.3
Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS

Replies: 24   Last Post: Nov 3, 2013 7:44 PM

Wally W.

Re: what a real rebuttal of AP's claim of a contradiction in the heart of Geometry looks like #35.9 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 20:35:41 -0700 (PDT), Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

>On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:26:15 PM UTC-5, Wally W. wrote:

>(snipped)

>> Are we having fun yet?
>
>I am because you show how crippled in mind the establishment mathematics is:
>
>---------------------------------------
>AP Claim:
>
>(1) point has no distance, no width, no depth
>(2) line has distance but no width and no depth
>
>Contradiction: because a line composed of just points, all of which have no distance, or 0 distance when added up yields 0 distance.
>
>How to correct the Contradiction? Find the finite to infinity borderline which gives a microinfinity which acts as "empty space between two successive finite points" thus giving the two points a distance. So that a line in Geometry, True Geometry is a finite point with empty space and then the next finite point with empty space and then the next finite point with empty space for however distant that line is.
>
>Distance is a measure of one point to another point because distance is point A, then empty space, then point B.

>Now Wally is incapable of a paragraph or longer rebuttal, for he can only handle short sentences and cannot form a rebuttal argument. So based on what Wally said above, here is his defense of the Establisment Geometry.
>

>What a Wally Walrus rebuttal is beginning to look like:
>
>(1) point has no distance, no width, no depth
>(2) line has distance but no width and no depth
>

>WW > They (points) don't *become* more dense. They always existed. How do you

>> *create* points? From what do you create them?

>WW > A length is associated with any distance between points, continuous or

>> not.

>WW > So Zeno's arrow can't exist. It could never hold together in flight

>> because it is not continuous.
>>

>So apparently a line for WW is continuous.

Yes.

Consider the line y = 2 * x

Please provide an x value at which this line is not continuous.

if your points are 10^-603 units apart (does this work for both
light-years and microns, you never explained), then is this line not
continuous at x = 1 + (0.0001) * (10^-603)? Is there empty space at
this x value?

>So the flaw remains, and the contradiction remains because the distance between point A and point B is not tallied by how many other points are in the path of the distance but how much empty space resides between the 2 points in question.

The distance between Point A and Point B is given by the Pythagorean
Theorem, regardless of how many points exist between these two points.

>So Wally is confused in thinking that distance is totally separate from length, when in fact it is a chose of words, whether we want to call it distance or want to call it length.

Consider the diameter of a circle. The separation between the ends of
a diameter a distance. It is not a length along the circumference of
the circle.

>So Wally still has failed to defend establishment Geometry, for he needs to offer a mechanism of how points can turn from no distance or no length into points having distance and having length. He needs to provide a mechanism.
>
>In the AP argument, the mechanism is the third entity of empty space that is combined with point and line.

>Until Wally can provide that mechanism, he has failed to defend.
>
>AP

I'll admit to not having the set theory background to provide a
rigorous proof.

On the other hand, you haven't given the coordinates for the location
of empty space on a line. You say it exists. Why can't you give one
example of where your empty space may be found in any of the infinite
number of lines that can be defined?

Date Subject Author
11/1/13
Read the ugly contradiction at the heart of High School Geometry #35.3
Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/1/13
Read Re: the ugly contradiction at the heart of High School Geometry #35.3
Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/2/13
Read 1 Grid System and the Naturals and Empty Space is *Infinity numbers*
#35.4 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read yeajh, but I don't hate you, THAT much
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/2/13
Read some changes in True Geometry, once "empty space" is factored in
#35.5 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read Re: the ugly contradiction at the heart of High School Geometry #35.3 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
Wally W.
11/2/13
Read remarkable how few people recognize a contradiction when shown one
#35.6 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read Re: remarkable how few people recognize a contradiction when shown one #35.6 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
Wally W.
11/2/13
Read why the nonscientist has such a difficult time of comprehending what
a contradiction is and what it means
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read Re: why the nonscientist has such a difficult time of comprehending what a contradiction is and what it means
Wally W.
11/2/13
Read what a real rebuttal of AP's claim of a contradiction in the heart of
Geometry looks like #35.9 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read Re: what a real rebuttal of AP's claim of a contradiction in the heart of Geometry looks like #35.9 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
Wally W.
11/2/13
Read Re: what a real rebuttal of AP's claim of a contradiction in the
heart of Geometry looks like #35.9 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read rebuttal in defence of establishment Geometry is weak with its
distance rather than length #35.11 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/3/13
Read Re: what a real rebuttal of AP's claim of a contradiction in the heart of Geometry looks like #35.9 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
Wally W.
11/3/13
Read establishment Geometry still has the contradiction and needs a
mechanism to survive #35.12 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/3/13
Read getting the old fake geometry out of the High School and College
classrooms #35.13 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read Re: why the nonscientist has such a difficult time of comprehending what a contradiction is and what it means
Jennifer Murphy
11/2/13
Read Re: why the nonscientist has such a difficult time of comprehending what a contradiction is and what it means
Wally W.
11/3/13
Read Re: why the nonscientist has such a difficult time of comprehending what a contradiction is and what it means
Jennifer Murphy
11/2/13
Read Jennifer Murphy ostrich, hiding away from intellectual debate and
wants to suppress new ideas
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read some huge changes to geometry of True Geometry #35.7 Uni-text 8th
ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read We keep and maintain Parallelism in True Geometry #35.8 Uni-text 8th
ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/2/13
Read Re: We keep and maintain Parallelism in True Geometry #35.8 Uni-text 8th ed.: TRUE CALCULUS
Wally W.
11/3/13
Read however, it is really not that funny, when you don't pretend that
it's no a.p. (you are when
Brian Q. Hutchings