Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Jussi Piitulainen

fom writes:

> On 11/3/2013 4:53 AM, Robin Chapman wrote:
> > On 02/11/2013 21:38, Virgil wrote:

> >> Unless one wants 0^X to be continuous at X = 0.

> > Not every function is continuous ....
> >

> Should summation forms
>

> Sum k -oo to oo ( a_k * x^k )
>
> a_k = 0 when |k| > M for some natural number M
>

> over the reals be continuous?

I'm missing the relevance of your question.

Are you suggesting that 0^0 = 1 doesn't work in the reals because 1/x
is not defined (and therefore not continuous) over all reals?

(That's a_k = [k = -1] for all k.)

Or are you really asking if 1/x over the reals somehow _should_ be
continuous over the reals even though it isn't?

Either way, I'm still missing the relevance.

A third interpretation (that you are just contributing to the general
nervous cluelessness) would give relevance but I don't expect that
from you.

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen
Brian Q. Hutchings