Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Michael F. Stemper

On 11/02/2013 08:55 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article <l53tef$29v$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11/02/2013 04:38 PM, Virgil wrote:

>>> Unless one wants 0^X to be continuous at X = 0.

>> Which is normally not a requirement when working in the
>> naturals -- the context of this discussion. I don't think
>> that anybody's said that 0^0 can or should be defined for
>> the reals.

> But why should one have to have different definitions for integers and
> reals?

Because when you define the naturals as the finite cardinals, the
definition of exponentiation gives 0^0 = 1 without any special
handling.

Because the binomial theorem works without special cases if you
define 0^0 = 1 in the naturals.

Because it's an empty product.

Because the power rule for differentiation doesn't need any
special cases if you define 0^0 = 1 in the naturals.

Because Knuth said so.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.