Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

fom

On 11/3/2013 8:32 AM, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
> fom writes:

>>> Not every function is continuous ....
>>>

>> Should summation forms
>>

>> Sum k -oo to oo ( a_k * x^k )
>>
>> a_k = 0 when |k| > M for some natural number M
>>

>> over the reals be continuous?

> I'm missing the relevance of your question.
>
> Are you suggesting that 0^0 = 1 doesn't work in the reals because 1/x
> is not defined (and therefore not continuous) over all reals?
>
> (That's a_k = [k = -1] for all k.)
>
> Or are you really asking if 1/x over the reals somehow _should_ be
> continuous over the reals even though it isn't?
>
> Either way, I'm still missing the relevance.
>
> A third interpretation (that you are just contributing to the general
> nervous cluelessness) would give relevance but I don't expect that
> from you.

It had merely been a poor choice.

That is a polynomial form.

If 0^0 =/= 1, then a_0 * x^0 does not have a uniform
interpretation for all possible values of x.

I had understood the exchanges in terms of deciding
priority with respect to a continuous 0^x.

I chose a general form because so much mathematics is written
that way. I simply put a bound on non-zero coefficients
in keeping with practice for finitary mathematics. But you
are correct that for x=0 there is an essential discontinuity
for every term with a negative index and non-zero coefficient.

I just did not think about it when I wrote it.

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen
Brian Q. Hutchings
ross.finlayson@gmail.com