Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Jussi Piitulainen

fom writes:
> On 11/3/2013 8:32 AM, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
> > fom writes:

> >> Should summation forms
> >>

> >> Sum k -oo to oo ( a_k * x^k )
> >>
> >> a_k = 0 when |k| > M for some natural number M
> >>

> >> over the reals be continuous?

> > I'm missing the relevance of your question.

[...]

> It had merely been a poor choice.
>
> That is a polynomial form.
>
> If 0^0 =/= 1, then a_0 * x^0 does not have a uniform
> interpretation for all possible values of x.

Ok, thanks. Now it seems to me that you meant to write

sum (k = 0 to M) a_k x^k

starting the index at 0, so k < 0 was a mistake, and you didn't mean
it as an example of any problem with 0^0 = 1. Then it's fine.

> I had understood the exchanges in terms of deciding
> priority with respect to a continuous 0^x.

Yes, Virgil brought that up, as still quoted above, when extension to
reals was mentioned. Otherwise the current thread has been narrowly
about axioms for natural numbers.

[...]

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen