Topic: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
Replies: 44   Last Post: Nov 10, 2013 12:23 PM

Paul

Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado

On Monday, November 4, 2013 5:18:16 AM UTC, fom wrote:
> On 11/3/2013 10:54 PM, fom wrote:
>

> > On 11/3/2013 10:43 PM, fom wrote:
>

> > <snip>
>

> > With the following definitions, Rado's
>
> > proof is correct.
>

> > It assumes an implicit biconditional
>
> > as is common with definitions.
>

> > It does not assume an exclusive index
>
> > at which values may vary.
>

> > The definition interprets the
>
> > "whenever ... then" statement
>
> > as
>

> > Ax( P(x) -> Q )
>

> Whoops
>

> Ax( P(x) <-> Q )
>

> I had just been thinking of the
>
> quantifier issue when I wrote that.
>
> This would be the formula with the
>
> implied biconditional of definition
>
> as well.
>

> > Corrected property definition
>
> > =============================
>

> > P(k) <-> (
>

> > k in { 1, ..., r }
>

> > /\
>

> > AmAn(
>

> > [ ( ( < m > = < a_1, ..., a_r > /\ < n > = < b_1, ..., b_r > )
>

> > /\
>

> > ( m subset B' /\ n subset B' ) )
>

> > /\
>

> > Ai( ~( i = k) -> ( a_i = b_i ) )
>

> > /\
>

> > ( a_k = b_k ) )
>

> > <->
>

> > f( m ) =/= f( n ) ]
>

> > ) )
>

> > Negation of
>
> > corrected property definition
>
> > =============================
>

> > ~P(k) <-> (
>

> > ~( k in { 1, ..., r } )
>

> > \/
>

> > EmEn(
>

> > [ ( ( ~( < m > = < a_1, ..., a_r > /\ < n > = < b_1, ..., b_r > )
>

> > \/
>

> > ~( m subset B' /\ n subset B' ) )
>

> > \/
>

> > Ei( ~( i = k) /\ ~( a_i = b_i ) )
>

> > \/
>

> > ~( a_k = b_k ) )
>

> > <->
>

> > f( m ) =/= f( n ) ]
>

> > ) )

> > Defintion at beginning of paper:
>
> > ================================
>

> > Let L subset {1, 2, ..., r} be given.
>

> > Let A and f:[A]^r :=> F be given
>

> > LCB(x) denotes "x is L-canonical on B"

> > LCB(x) <-> (
>

> > B subset A
>

> > /\
>

> > AmAn(
>

> > ( ( < m > = < a_1, ..., a_r > /\ < n > = < b_1, ..., b_r > )
>

> > /\
>

> > ( m subset B /\ n subset B ) )
>

> > ->
>

> > ( f( m ) = f( n ) <-> Ak( k in L /\ a_k = b_k ) )
>

> > ) )

fom,

Assuming that your definition of L is consistent with your definition on the original thread, I fully agree that it enables me to get past the blockage that I initially complained about.

Have you read the rest of the proof to ensure that your definition of L doesn't create problems further on in the paper?

[I'm absolutely not suggesting that you haven't. This is a genuine question to which I don't know the answer.]

Paul Epstein

Date Subject Author
11/3/13
Read Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
Paul
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Peter Percival
11/4/13
[...]
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Another not-completely-insignificant gap in the Rado paper
[...]
11/8/13
Read Re: The Rado paper -- a possible further simplification
Paul
11/8/13
Read Re: The Rado paper -- a possible further simplification
David Hartley
11/7/13
Read Re: Another not-completely-insignificant gap in the Rado paper
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/8/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/8/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/10/13
Read Re: Possible major blunder in Rado's version of Canonical Ramsey
Theorem that goes far beyond omitting proof steps
Paul