Topic: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
Replies: 44   Last Post: Nov 10, 2013 12:23 PM

Paul

Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:53:42 AM UTC, David Hartley wrote:
> In message <108bdb66-f220-4d28-991e-5318f87ffcb9@googlegroups.com>, Paul
>
> <pepstein5@gmail.com> writes
>

> >Thanks very much for this correction. I will use this corrected
>
> >version of L and attempt to understand the rest of the paper. I agree
>
> >that this corrected L gets past the blockage I initially complained
>
> >about. I look forward to reading the rest of the paper and I hope that
>
> >correcting L in this way doesn't cause problems further on in the proof.
>

> It was getting late last night and I didn't look any further. Having had
>
> a quick glance now it looks like the second part of the proof uses the
>
> original definition of L. I'll look more closely tonight but at the
>
> moment it looks like the proof can't be saved by redefining L.

Agreed. The redefinition of L leads to problems soon after (3) of page 3. Furthermore, assuming an error in a paper should be a last resort. An author is far more likely to omit steps of reasoning than to make an elementary logical error. My initial post merely shows that the equality I'm complaining about doesn't follow _immediately_. However, just because an assertion doesn't follow immediately doesn't mean that it doesn't follow. To show that it doesn't follow, we would need a counter-example and I haven't seen one.

Many thanks for your help. I'll be delighted when this is resolved.

Paul Epstein

Date Subject Author
11/3/13
Read Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
Paul
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Peter Percival
11/4/13
[...]
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Another not-completely-insignificant gap in the Rado paper
[...]
11/8/13
Read Re: The Rado paper -- a possible further simplification
Paul
11/8/13
Read Re: The Rado paper -- a possible further simplification
David Hartley
11/7/13
Read Re: Another not-completely-insignificant gap in the Rado paper
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/8/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/8/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/10/13
Read Re: Possible major blunder in Rado's version of Canonical Ramsey
Theorem that goes far beyond omitting proof steps
Paul