Topic: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function

Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 10:15 AM

Richard Ulrich

Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:03:47 -0800 (PST), paul.domaskis@gmail.com
wrote:

>When I read reliability lecture notes and reliability data information, I've seen references to the apparent failure rate of a population of components. Plotted against time, this failure rate looks like the step-function response of an underdamped second-order system. That is, from time zero (system is new), the curve accelerates upward from zero value and zero derivative until it peaks at t=MTTF, then is followed by decaying oscillations as parts are replaced and their ages become unsynchronized. At steady-state, the population failure rate is essentially constant (Poisson).

What you describe as the result sounds like results you
might get from simulation if you start out with an
exponentially increasing function, or even better, with
a typical mechanical failure curve that has a distinct
"life-span" (and, as you say, skips past the fast-failure
phase). Bathtub curve, minus the early failure rate.

(Low, then exponential.)
The human rate-of-death is drops off from a peak at
birth, and after the age 30, it doubles for every 9 (or so)
years of age. It might stop increasing in the 80s or 90s.
What underlies this is still a matter of interest.

(More narrowly specified than human life span?)
Automobile axle ball-bearings that I read about 30 years ago
had a more drastic curve of failure, with a sharp increase at
40,000 (?) miles. The study explained it in good detail. Micro-
pitting is "uniform" at the start. Eventually, pits start to overlap,
and the size of new pit and the amount of damage-per-hit increase.
When my left front wheel (under the engine) froze up, I thought
the mechanic had been trying to scam me about changing both
front wheels; until the other one froze up a few hundred miles later.

How are curves obtained? Industries probably observed the
picture before they described it mathematically. Ball-bearings.
Light-bulbs. Lots of experience. Set in your numbers and
simulate it.

--
Rich Ulrich

Date Subject Author
11/4/13
Read Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/6/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/7/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/10/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/11/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
mr.fred.ma@gmail.com
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/17/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/18/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Dan Heyman