Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

On 11/6/2013 6:16 PM, Albert Rich wrote:
> I am currently transcribing the 109 integration examples in Chapter 8 of Timofeev's book.
>However I am unable to figure out what Timofeev intended for examples #66 and #69 on
>page 366. The integrands for #66 and #69 appear to be
>
> (cosh(x)^2 - sinh(x)^3) / (cosh[x)^3 + sinh(x)^3)
>
> and
>
> (tanh(x)-cosh(2x))*cosh(x)/((sinh(2x)+sinh(x)^2)*sqrt(sinh(2*x)))
>
> respectively, but the antiderivatives shown for them are not valid.
>Can anybody out there help me out?
>
> Albert

Yes, there is an error/typo somewhere. difference between
the derivative of the anti derivative and the integrand is not
zero and not even linear constant difference. This is from
the 1948 edition. May be there is a newer edition than this
to check?

restart;
integrand:=(cosh(x)^2 - sinh(x)^3) / (cosh(x)^3 + sinh(x)^3):
anti:= 1/(3*(1+tanh(x)))+ 4/(3*sqrt(3))*arctan( (2*tanh(x)-1)/sqrt(3)):
check:=simplify(integrand-diff(anti,x));

(1/3)*(3*cosh(x)^3-6*cosh(x)^2*sinh(x)+3*cosh(x)^2-4*cosh(x)
+2*sinh(x)) /(cosh(x)^3+cosh(x)^2*sinh(x)-sinh(x))

plot(%,x=-Pi..Pi);

restart;
integrand:=(tanh(x)-cosh(2*x))*cosh(x)/((sinh(2*x)+sinh(x)^2)*sqrt(sinh(2*x))):
anti:= 1/sqrt(2*tanh(x))+sqrt(2)/6*log( (1-sqrt(tanh(x)))/(1+sqrt(tanh(x))) )
+sqrt(2)*arctan(tanh(x))+1/6 * arctan(sqrt(tanh(x)/2)):
check:=simplify(integrand-diff(anti,x)); %too large to show
plot(%,x=-Pi..Pi);

--Nasser

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de