Topic: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
Replies: 44   Last Post: Nov 10, 2013 12:23 PM

Paul

Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado

On Friday, November 8, 2013 2:05:19 AM UTC, fom wrote:
> On 11/5/2013 6:10 PM, David Hartley wrote:
>

> > In message <86eb8927-154a-4ad2-906f-759e79de59d9@googlegroups.com>, Paul
>
> > <pepstein5@gmail.com> writes
>
> >> Of course, the below is irrelevant to understanding the proof.
>
> >> However, I am completely mystified by the page 1 sentences: "We now
>
> >> show that f is L-canonical. We shall apply the definition of f
>
> >> repeatedly without referring to this fact." It's only the second of
>
> >> those sentences that confuses me. The first sentence is given for
>
> >> context.
>

> > I can't make sense of it either. The whole section is rather odd.
>
> > Firstly he hasn't actually defined L-canonical, only L-canonical on B,
>
> > presumably he means here L-canonical on A. The actual theorem is trivial
>
> > yet he devotes several lines to a proof.
>

> Your presumption is correct.
>

> The theorem is trivial, but, its
>
> purpose is not.
>

> He has given a definition. He is
>
> demonstrating that the definition
>
> is not vacuous before proceeding to
>
> the main theorem.

You are absolutely correct about the purpose of the theorem. David and I are of the opinion that the non-vacuity of the definition is sufficiently obvious to the intended readership, as not to be worth stating.

A longer paper, for an undergraduate audience, could be given, which simplifies the proof along the lines found by David, and which gives more details. This suggested longer paper might well contain such details.

Paul Epstein

Date Subject Author
11/3/13
Read Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
Paul
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/3/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Peter Percival
11/4/13
[...]
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/5/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Another not-completely-insignificant gap in the Rado paper
[...]
11/8/13
Read Re: The Rado paper -- a possible further simplification
Paul
11/8/13
Read Re: The Rado paper -- a possible further simplification
David Hartley
11/7/13
Read Re: Another not-completely-insignificant gap in the Rado paper
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
fom
11/8/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper
by Rado
Paul
11/8/13
Read Re: Surprise at my failure to resolve an issue in an elementary paper by Rado
David Hartley
11/10/13
Read Re: Possible major blunder in Rado's version of Canonical Ramsey
Theorem that goes far beyond omitting proof steps
Paul