Topic: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 2:11 PM

jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com

Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.

In sci.physics Hetware <hattons@speakyeasy.net> wrote:
> I'm working through a 1953 edition of Thomas's _Calculus And Analytic
> Geometry_. When I work problems, I use Mathematica to type my
> transformations, and to check my results. I use it for far more, as
> well; graphing, numerical solutions, etc.
>
> Many years ago I found computers to be a nuisance when it came to math,
> and more importantly physics. I was contented to have a piece of chalk
> or a pencil and an eraser, than to have all the computing power in (the)
> Universe. Time was the only resource I found in short supply.
>
> Now that I have used them for years, I realize that computers can do a
> whole lot. They can find integrals for equations which I cannot
> integrate by hand. They can produce graphics which a human could never
> produce, etc.
>
> I've used a pocket calculator since the 1970's. But, I feel as if I
> should have learned to work the same problems on my own. I feel
> somewhat crippled by using it as a crutch.
>
> I'm in a conundrum twixt the use of computers to do my thinking for me,
> and learning to think for myself. Should a child learn his times
> tables, or learn to use a computer to do it for him?

Computers don't think, they process the instructions some thinking person
programmed them to process.

--
Jim Pennino

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
William Elliot
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
Matthew Lybanon
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Herman Rubin
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Doc O'Leary
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Sam Wormley
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
JohnF
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Timsn274
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Rock Brentwood
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Peter Percival
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/18/13