Topic: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 2:11 PM

Sam Wormley

Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

On 11/11/13, 10:05 PM, Hetware wrote:
> I'm working through a 1953 edition of Thomas's _Calculus And Analytic
> Geometry_. When I work problems, I use Mathematica to type my
> transformations, and to check my results. I use it for far more, as
> well; graphing, numerical solutions, etc.
>
> Many years ago I found computers to be a nuisance when it came to math,
> and more importantly physics. I was contented to have a piece of chalk
> or a pencil and an eraser, than to have all the computing power in (the)
> Universe. Time was the only resource I found in short supply.
>
> Now that I have used them for years, I realize that computers can do a
> whole lot. They can find integrals for equations which I cannot
> integrate by hand. They can produce graphics which a human could never
> produce, etc.
>
> I've used a pocket calculator since the 1970's. But, I feel as if I
> should have learned to work the same problems on my own. I feel
> somewhat crippled by using it as a crutch.
>
> I'm in a conundrum twixt the use of computers to do my thinking for me,
> and learning to think for myself. Should a child learn his times
> tables, or learn to use a computer to do it for him?

Log Tables, Calculators and Computers are just tools you can use
to speed your calculation. The latter an be used to find resources
in the world wide web that may also assist you.

See:
http://dlmf.nist.gov
http://www.wolframalpha.com

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
William Elliot
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
Matthew Lybanon
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Herman Rubin
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Doc O'Leary
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
JohnF
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Timsn274
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Rock Brentwood
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Peter Percival
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/18/13