Topic: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 2:11 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.

In article <d6ydnaKnDM2PNBzPnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d@megapath.net>,
Hetware <hattons@speakyeasy.net> wrote:

> I'm in a conundrum twixt the use of computers to do my thinking for me,
> and learning to think for myself. Should a child learn his times
> tables, or learn to use a computer to do it for him? ....

It's a good question. I'll just mention two past experiences.

At a Faculty meeting years ago (even before computers were
widespread), a student representative had argued strongly that we
needn't memorize much because everything can be looked up. The response
of a venerable professor of history was "There is no substitute for a
well-stocked mind."

I once received a phone call from another academic (in sociology
IIRC). She had a calculator in front of her, and asked something like
"How can I express 288 as a percentage of 417?" What she needed from me
was the word "divide". She was a Ph.D., but clearly had very little
intuitive grasp of elementary arithmetic.

Ken Pledger.

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
William Elliot
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
Matthew Lybanon
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Herman Rubin
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Doc O'Leary
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Sam Wormley
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
JohnF
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Timsn274
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Rock Brentwood
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Peter Percival
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/18/13