Topic: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 2:11 PM

Hetware

Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

On 11/12/2013 1:44 AM, Lord Androcles wrote:

> Can you pilot a plane?
> Can you strip down a jet engine and reassemble it?
> Can you calculate the optimum shape of a wing?
>
> There is no rule that says you have to do all three to be competent at
> any one of them, nobody can do everything. We all rely on the competence
> of others and have some specialty ourselves.

Actually, when it comes to mathematical physics, I believe it is a sin
to trust the judgements of others regarding the structure of theories.
To a large extent we have to rely on the experimentalist to do a good
job of providing us with the input data upon which we build, and by
which we test our theories. But even there, we are obliged to be
vigilant.

> I'll trust a computer to fly a plane before I'll trust myself or a human
> pilot,

So was a computer flying AA77, or was flight-school flunky, Hani
Hanjour? Do you really want to trust a computer which is programmed by
an anonymous person whose Weltlinie is not approximately coincident and
parallel with yours during the flight?

> just as I'll trust a calculator not to make an arithmetic mistake.
> The child should learn algebra instead of tables, the real problem is
> the teachers are not competent to teach algebra so they bore the kids to
> death by teaching tables by rote and the kid grows up hating math, which
> is a handicap.

I was a superb academic failure, partly because I was so good at ginning
up the answers on the fly, without ever firmly memorizing them. I am
the antithesis to the rote learner. There are many places where
learning by rote is valuable. I regret that I took little advantage of
them in my youth.

> If the teacher had learnt algebra at age 7 they'd be
> teaching kids algebra at age 22.

I can teach preliterate children to add, subtract, multiply and divide,
but I rarely have the opportunity.

> You have to teach to principle of
> multiplication, count = row * column, but not tables. Arrange 7 rows of
> 9 columns and count, 63.
> 8^2 = 64, (x-1)(x+1) = 7 * 9 = 63 = x^2 -1
> 4^2 = 16, (4-1)(4+1) = 4^2-1 = 15
> That can be learnt by rote instead.

A child should learn to construct his multiplication table, and should
memorize the table he constructs. He should explore the patterns in the
table. For example 8+1=7+2=6+3=5+4=4+5=3+6=2+7=1+8=9. 81, 72, 63, 54,
45, 36, 27, 18 are multiples of 9.

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
William Elliot
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
Matthew Lybanon
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Herman Rubin
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Doc O'Leary
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Sam Wormley
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
JohnF
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Timsn274
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Rock Brentwood
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Peter Percival
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/18/13