Topic: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.

Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 2:11 PM

Timsn274

Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:06:14 AM UTC-5, JohnF wrote:
<snip>

> Actually, it's not such a good question, but should be better phrased
> as, "To what extent should a child learn his times tables?"
>
> You still need to learn enough examples until you "get the idea".
> Some kids may need more examples, some less. It's an individual thing.
> But with tiny $2 calculators everywhere, you don't need to learn times
> tables to the same extent as when everyday arithmetic was done by hand.
> There's only finite time, and your kid's time would be better spent
> learning other, more abstract, math stuff (like percentages:) once he
> understands the times table idea, and has worked enough examples to
> make it intuitive to him.
>
> --
>
> John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

With students who do so, we get the 'new' generation in college, who stumble at every step of a calculation of any kind because they do not automatically simplify expressions such as 2(3x)

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
William Elliot
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn?
Matthew Lybanon
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Hetware
11/17/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Lord Androcles
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Herman Rubin
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
Doc O'Leary
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Sam Wormley
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Brian Q. Hutchings
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica, etc.
JohnF
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Timsn274
11/12/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all?
Mathematica, etc.
Rock Brentwood
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
Peter Percival
11/13/13
Read Re: What math should I learn if computers can do it all? Mathematica,
etc.
fom
11/18/13