Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Albert D. Rich

From: Hawaii Island
Registered: 5/30/09
Re: The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:56:55 AM UTC-10, clicl...@freenet.de wrote:

> The hypergeometric series here (and in Example 3) terminate for a
> non-negative integer exponent n, while the series for your evaluation of
> Examples 6a,b terminate (after applying Euler's transformation) for a
> negative integer exponent n. The latter type of representation is
> somewhat more compact; a disadvantage is that the antiderivative 6a for
> positive a,m,x ends up on the branch cut of the hypergeometric function.
> I therefore propose to normalize to the former type:

For the integral of (1+x)^n/x, Rubi currently returns

-(1+x)^(1+n) * 2F1(1,1+n,2+n,1+x) / (1+n)

In light of your comments above, would it be better to return

(1+x)^n * 2F1(-n,-n,1-n,-1/x) / (n*(1+1/x)^n) ?

Albert

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de