Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

Albert Rich schrieb:

> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:56:55 AM UTC-10, clicl...@freenet.de wrote:
>

> > The hypergeometric series here (and in Example 3) terminate for a
> > non-negative integer exponent n, while the series for your evaluation of
> > Examples 6a,b terminate (after applying Euler's transformation) for a
> > negative integer exponent n. The latter type of representation is
> > somewhat more compact; a disadvantage is that the antiderivative 6a for
> > positive a,m,x ends up on the branch cut of the hypergeometric function.
> > I therefore propose to normalize to the former type:

> For the integral of (1+x)^n/x, Rubi currently returns
>
> -(1+x)^(1+n) * 2F1(1,1+n,2+n,1+x) / (1+n)
>
> In light of your comments above, would it be better to return
>
> (1+x)^n * 2F1(-n,-n,1-n,-1/x) / (n*(1+1/x)^n) ?

I think so. For positive x and non-integer n you are no longer sitting
right on the edge of a cliff then - the thought alone makes me dizzy. An
equivalent (by Euler's transformation) but simpler antiderivative is:

(1+x)^(1+n) * 2F1(1,1,1-n,-1/x) / (n*x)

Note that the singularity at x=0 is already present in the integrand.
And Pfaff's transformation of these two puts one on the brink of the
chasm when x is negative and small:

(1+x)^n * 2F1(-n,1,1-n,1/(1+x)) / n

Martin.

PS: I have seen your "piecewise constants" called "differential
constants" by WRI's Daniel Lichtblau, but the former term is much much
more popular according to Google.

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de