Topic: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Replies: 67   Last Post: Nov 25, 2013 12:57 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions

I looked at the article again. The problem is from a 5th grade textbook ...

"A few years ago the field of U.S. mathematics education experienced a small shock from a word problem in a fifth-grade Singapore textbook..."

And it is prior to the students learning algebra ...

"The time at which students are asked this question, just after learning division by fractions, is very important. Prior to that, students have not learned the entire definition system. Later, students will learn to solve such problems using algebra."

I realize she is trying to describe the state of mind of a complete arithmetic student. Where you expect a student to be after a very solid arithmetic experience. I also recognize the importance of definitions and layering them through those years. However, I am not so keen on her notion that this "defines" solid arithmetic, it is just but one of the defining elements. I also no longer believe that a solid sequence of arithmetic is best defined by elements, strands or standards. After studying so many such descriptions of solid arithmetic, I still find the very best description to be a good textbook on the subject, complete with problems and exercises, from start to finish.

I realize that education went the other direction the last 20 years, trying to define arithmetic (and algebra etc.) with standards and strands, and the curriculums have suffered and are weak compared to those previously. I don't know if that will change anytime soon, but I collected all the classics in case it doesn't.:)

Bob Hansen

On Nov 14, 2013, at 6:20 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> But you do agree that for word problems less complicated than this there is no {x}? I mean that the the student identifies and controls, even subconsciously. That would be algebra. I was under the impression that this problem was given to elementary students without the benefit of algebra. I need to read the article again once my plane gets off the ground.
>
> Bob Hansen
>

>> On Nov 14, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I think so for a word problem of this type there would have to be something in the mind that stands for "total #tarts produced

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/11/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Jonathan Crabtree
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Pam
11/15/13
[...]
11/17/13
[...]
11/18/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/21/13
[...]
GS Chandy
11/17/13
[...]
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/22/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/23/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
GS Chandy
11/24/13