Topic: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function

Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 10:15 AM

mr.fred.ma@gmail.com

Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function

On Monday, November 11, 2013 5:47:01 PM UTC-5, Rich Ulrich wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, paul.....@gmail.com wrote:
>> I think I should have been clearer about the fact that I'm not
>> trying to model second order systems. Rather, I'm trying to find a
>> reference for the failure rate with time of an ensemble of parts
>> with Poisson failure rates, each of which are replaced upon
>> failure. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it is well-known and
>> iconic, since it shows up in reliability material that I alluded to
>> in my original post.

> I've looked back at your original post. You do mention there,
> correctly, that there is a curve that becomes asymptotically
> "Poison" in distribution of failures counted in small time
> intervals; the failures eventually tend to occur uniformly.
>
> I think you have a serious misunderstanding of the vocabulary, and
> of the point being made in your source.
>
> EVERY curve with a continuous, increasing failure rate is going to
> have some a defined MTTF. This is not peculiar to some single
> failure curve. If you replace every failure as it occurs with a
> "new" part, the curve is going to be "damped" when you look at later
> peaks, and the curve is going to evolve toward a uniform rate of
> failures as the starting points become heterogeneous. It is
> "uniform rate" that invokes "Poisson" as one of the possible
> descriptors.

I could very well have some vocabulary wrong, but I don't see where it
is from our discussion so far. The situation of interest in my case
is that of an ensemble of (let's say) identical parts with identical
MTBF (if they are repaired as good as new upon failure) or MTTF if
they are simply replaced upon failure. And specifically, the parts
failure follows a Poisson process. Admittedly, the fact that they are
repaired as good as new almost makes the Poisson aspect immaterial,
since MTTF=MTBF in this scenario (replaced or repaired as good as
new). Is that what you are referring to?

In any case, I haven't had a chance to eke out the derivation from
scratch.

Date Subject Author
11/4/13
Read Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/6/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/7/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/10/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/11/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
mr.fred.ma@gmail.com
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/17/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/18/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Dan Heyman