Topic: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Replies: 67   Last Post: Nov 25, 2013 12:57 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Nov 17, 2013 5:47 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9326860):

> When I say "Singapore Math", I mean the math they do
> in Singapore, which, I hate to break your heart,
> isn't what you are currently looking at. I did order
> those books a couple years ago if you recall (you
> even said, get the textbooks, not the workbooks).
> They didn't add up. It turns out that most of the
> (good) math done in Singapore isn't in those books
> but is in supplemental problem solving books. Pretty
> decent ones in fact.
>
> Picture every math bound kid clutching "The Art of
> Problem Solving". Why? Picture failing your whole
> academic career at age 12.
>
> They aren't screwing around. You want to try
> something interesting. Join the blogs and watch snot
> nosed kids posting "Test too easy!".:) Reminds me of
> the good old days.

RIGHT! When you (whomsoever you happen to be) "picture" things "they" (whomsoever they may happen to be) "aren't screwing around". I can almost guarantee that 'well-pictured things' would generally help [quite significantly, in a variety of ways] to stop ourselves and each other from "screwing around", which alas in the conventional way tends to happen all too often, things in real life being rather more complex than our limited human 'intelligence' can readily cope with. For specific instances of some 'major "screwing around"' that has happened in the past (and is still happening worldwide), see SUGGESTIONS concluding this comment - which include also suggestions to prevent the "screwing around and up".

> Does it amaze me that the vast educational scholastic
> political industry in this country missed all that?
> No.
>
> Bob Hansen

SUGGESTIONS: HOW TO SORT MUCH OF THIS GODAWFUL MESS OUT?

DON'T:

1) "PUT THE EDUCATIONAL MAFIA IN JAIL!" (Design effective systems instead)

2) "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (Design effective systems instead)

3) "PUSH children to learn math; anything else!" (Rather, just ENCOURAGE them. Design effective systems instead: it's not difficult to accomplish this at all!)

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/11/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Jonathan Crabtree
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Pam
11/15/13
[...]
11/17/13
[...]
11/18/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/21/13
[...]
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/22/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/23/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
GS Chandy
11/24/13