Topic: Is there a name for this distribution?
Replies: 6   Last Post: May 27, 2014 11:17 AM

petertwocakes@googlemail.com

Re: Is there a name for this distribution?

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:48:03 PM UTC, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 14:34:56 -0800 (PST), Steve
>

> >I want to program a random distribution in the range 0.0 to 1.0, similar to a normal distribution, but with the centre point shifted to, say, 0.25.
>
> >The quality of the randomness isn't crucial, as long as it is shifted.
>
> >Given that I can create a random normal-ish distribution, which is good enough for my purposes, by averaging a few regular Random(0,1), is there a technique to make a shifted version?
>

> Problem number 1: "similar to normal" is not at all
>
> specific enough, especially when you want to assign
>
> a small range. Normal has infinite extent to both
>
> sides.
>

> If you just want a standard normal with a new location
>
> and variance, you could start with standard normal,
>
> mean=0.0 and variance= 1.
>

> Then multiple by a number to limit the range; and
>
> add a constant to adjust the mean.
>

> If you wanted to confine a normal to [0,1] while
>
> preserving the first 3 SD of range, you would take
>
> a normal deviate and divide by 9, then add 0.5.
>
> Trim or truncate (whichever you arbitrarily decide)
>
> whatever draws exceed the range.
>

> If you want a skewed distribution between 0 and1,
>
> you might look at the beta.
>

> --
>
> Rich Ulrich

Thanks Rich. I don't understand 100% at the moment but there's enough there now that at least I know what to search for, study, and try. Specifically, I don't know what 'normal deviate' means. If it means the rate of change of the normal curve, I don't know how to calculate that.