Topic: Help with creating a function
Replies: 12   Last Post: Nov 19, 2013 3:48 AM

Robert Crandal

Re: Help with creating a FORMULA. (no abs value)

"quasi" <quasi@null.set> wrote:

> The function f defined on the set of nonnegative integers
> by the formula
>
> f(x) = ((x-1)*(((2*x-1)/abs(2*x-1))+1)/2)+1

quasi,

Thanks, that's awesome . I dunno how you whipped
that out so fast, but I won't ask. 8)

Here's a tougher example:

Suppose I have this data:

X Y
-- --
0 -1
1 1
2 1
3 1
. .
N N

(Assume X is an integer >= zero)

Is there a formula for this set of non-negative
integers that does NOT use the absolute value
function? I thought maybe an alternating series
would help here, but I can't think of anything.

Any ideas?