Topic: vector-based transparent image
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 19, 2013 12:57 PM

Oliver Woodford

Re: vector-based transparent image

"Ross Anderson" wrote:
> I'm trying to add an alphadata property to some data and save a vector-based (as opposed to bitmap) image. I can't find any way to do it at the moment, but I supposed that someone has by now found a way around this matlab flaw, so I thought I'd ask. I read elsewhere that plot2svg was a workaround, but it's not working for me for images. An example:
>
> p = peaks(20);
> r =rand(20);
> h = imagesc(p);
> set(h,'alphadata', r);
>
> plot2svg('testtransparency.svg'); %claims to offer vector-based transparency, doesn't work here
> export_fig('testtransparency.pdf'); %nope
> print -painters -depsc2 testtransparency.eps %transparency not supported
> export_fig('testtransparency.png'); %not vector-based

I don't know of any readily available function that can do this. But there are two potential workarounds that I can see.
1) Save as a png with transparency using export_fig and the -transparent option, then embed this bitmap in a pdf/eps using some other software, or simply writing out the eps file from within MATLAB. E.g. Save as png using export_fig; write out eps with image embedded in it; convert eps to pdf using eps2pdf (which comes with export_fig).
2) If you don't need the resulting pdf to be transparent itself, then you can avoid using the alphadata property of the image by compositing the transparency programmatically, e.g. as mentioned here: http://www.mathworks.co.uk/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/244977#629720
Then all the normal pdf export methods should work fine.

HTH,
Oliver