Topic: Proof that mixed partials commute.
Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 22, 2013 11:57 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Proof that mixed partials commute.

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:27:11 -0500, Hetware <hattons@speakyeasy.net>
wrote:

>On 11/20/2013 11:07 AM, dullrich@sprynet.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 06:55:30 -0500, Hetware <hattons@speakyeasy.net>
>> wrote:

>>> But I added my reason for assuming the limits commute. I expressed a
>>> function of two independent variables as the function of a single
>>> variable and appealed to the limit rules for a function of a single
>>> variable to the result.
>>>
>>> The question is whether that reasoning is valid.

>> It can't be valid, since it "proves" something false!
>> Mixed partials are the same _under_ certain hypotheses.
>> Your proof, if valid, would show that they commute
>> _wiithout_ those hypotheses. And that's not true.
>>
>> Many theorems in analysis amount to showing
>> that some particular two limits commuute.
>>

>The starting point for the proof, as stated in the OP:
>"Theorem. If the function w=f(x,y) together with the partial derivatives
>f_x, f_y, f_xy and f_yx are continuous, then f_xy = f_yx."

Where in the supposed proof do you _use_ the hypothesis
that the partials are continuous?