Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Albert D. Rich

From: Hawaii Island
Registered: 5/30/09
Re: The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:14:00 AM UTC-10, clicl...@freenet.de wrote:

>>> Looking forward to Rubi4.3forte,
>>
>> Although not formally announced, Rubi 4.3 is now available for
>> downloading at
>>
>> http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/
>>

> ... Soul clap [its] hands and sing, and louder sing ...

A truly Byzantine response; however, as an aged man I can relate to studying monuments of its own magnificence.

>> In addition to Euler's transformation it includes numerous
>> improvements including the use of rectification to produce continuous
>> antiderivatives after integrating trig expressions using the
>> substitution u=tan(x) or u=tan(x/2). The algorithm is described in
>> D.J.Jeffrey's 1997 paper "Rectifying Transformations for the
>> Integration of Rational Trigonometric Functions" available at
>>
>> http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~djeffrey/Offprints/trig-rec.pdf

> I haven't taken a close look yet but hope this is not what you called a
> "messy algorithm [] not appropriate for an elegant, rule-based system;
> [] it requires the host CAS provide a strong limit package and good
> algebraic simplification." Such requirements would severely limit the
> portability of Rubi.

Rectification is implemented in Rubi as an optional, modular extension to the back substitution routine used after successful integration by substitution. If not implemented, the system will still return valid, if not continuous, antiderivatives.

Unfortunately, the substitutions u=tan(x) and u=tan(x/2) inherently result in discontinuous antiderivatives. The only alternative I can see to post-substitution rectification to produce continuous antiderivatives would be to not use tangent substitutions at all. Such substitutions essentially transform the integration problem from the trig function world to the algebraic function world. Thus for Rubi to avoid use of tangent substitutions, all the algebraic function integration rules (currently 1013 rules) would have to be replicated in the trig function world. Not a pleasant prospect...

Albert

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de