Topic: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Replies: 61   Last Post: Dec 11, 2013 11:12 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
att1.html (2.3 K)

A slow year at the math department I guess.

Bob Hansen

> On Nov 21, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Jerry Becker <jbecker@SIU.EDU> wrote:
>
> Colleagues -
>
> Prof. Hyunyong SHIN would like to share the attached article that deals with the number line as a visual representation of the real number system.
>
> Abstract:
>
> Abstract Number line is a visual representation of real number system. There was no arrow at either
> end of the representation in the early figures of number line. But after the 19th century, number lines with one arrow on the right hand side have begun to appear. In USA, however, many textbooks of secondary school mathematics have number lines with arrows on the left hand side as well as on the right hand side. It is quite different from the global standard. We argue that it is mathematically reasonable for number lines to have an arrow only on the right side.
>
> This is for your information, from
>
> Professor Hyunyong Shin
> Department of Mathematics Education
> Korea National University of Education
> Chungbuk 363-791, KOREA
> E-mail: shin@knue.ac.kr
>

> --
> Jerry P. Becker
> Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction
> Southern Illinois University
> 625 Wham Drive
> Mail Code 4610
> Carbondale, IL 62901-4610
> Phone: (618) 453-4241 [O]
> (618) 457-8903 [H]
> Fax: (618) 453-4244
> E-mail: jbecker@siu.edu
> <number-line-1.pdf>

Date Subject Author
11/21/13
Read Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Jerry P. Becker
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Dave L. Renfro
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/24/13
[...]
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Louis Talman
11/26/13
[...]
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/11/13