Topic: save figures without displaying
Replies: 18   Last Post: Sep 2, 2014 1:14 PM

Bo Zhang

Re: save figures without displaying

"Oliver" wrote in message <io6jkk$5em$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hi all, I've looked around for ages but cannot find a different solution. I fear there isn't one.
>
> Problem: I have a tool that batch processes data and creates loads (00's) of figures. I don't want them flashing up and getting in the way while the user is still trying to work on the machine.
>
> Current solution:
> set(fig, 'visible','off')
> saveas(fig,'file.fig','fig')
> close(fig)
>
> This is fine, however when trying to open the saved .fig file they remain invisible.
>
> I tried....
> set(fig, 'visible','off')
> saveas(fig,'file.fig','fig')
> set(fig, 'visible','on')
> close(fig)
>
> In the hope it wouldn't be displayed, but it is.
>
> Next idea is to open the .fig using fopen and edit the file manually to set visibility to on, then re-save the edited .fig, but the data format is unknown.
>
> Any ideas how to save invisible figures, but have them open as visible?

You may want to try this:
h=openfig('yourfig.fig','new','visible');
saveas(h,'yourfig.fig');
close(h);
By using new you creat a copy of the original figure, set the copy to be visible, and then overwrite the invisible original figure.