Topic: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Replies: 67   Last Post: Nov 25, 2013 12:57 PM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions

I got kind of behind on my email including this thread but Pam is
right here, Bob. This approach, combined with competent arithmetic
through ordinary fractions of course, is the best algebra readiness
I've ever seen. As I mentioned, if it's been done well, by the more
complicated problems of 6th grade, it's really time to drop it in
deference to symbolic algebra but it IS a general approach with
everything in place for genuine "algebraic thinking" as opposed to
the nonsense that gets advertised as such (mathematically
insupportable pattern recognition, for example).

Wayne

At 06:27 AM 11/18/2013, Pam wrote:
> > > On Nov 17, 2013, at 7:42 PM, Pam wrote:
> > >
> > > Why, oh why, would I not use the information

> > given?? 3/5 is three fifths! "Magically"? There is
> > no magic involved, simply an understanding of
> > fractions!
> >
> > But if you understand fractions, then wouldn't you
> > just do the arithmetic at that point?
> >

>Perhaps because your approach requires "magic" and "reverse
>engineering" and my approach does not?
>
>Think about the difference between the tart problem and the sundae
>and cherry/bush and tree problems, within the context of bar
>diagrams. In the tart problem, we did not know the total tarts
>made, but we did know exactly what portion of that total was sold in
>the morning (3/5) and in the afternoon (1/4 of 2/5). Hence, I could
>divide the bar with some precision, and that allowed me to relate,
>on my diagram, the morning tarts to the afternoon tarts.
>
>In the sundae problem, we knew the total for a sundae plus cherry,
>but not what each cost individually. Hence, we had to divide our
>bar arbitrarily. Similarly for the bush and tree
>problem. Different unknowns require us to develop our bar diagrams
>differently.

> > how
> > letters.

> > > An algebra mirror then. The solution via bar

> > diagrams mirrors the algebraic solution. Although,
> > since in both we are manipulating unknowns, simply
> > with different representations, I think algebra is
> > not such a stretch.
> >
> > It has some of the same elements as algebra, but
> > lacks the transformative elements that promote reuse
> > and generalization. But I agree that it is on the
> > path. Sans the crayons.:) I still get the hint that
> > you think this (even my version) is a replacement for
> > algebra.
> >
> > Bob Hansen

>Gosh, Bob, only and ever in your arrogant and biased
>misinterpretation of "what I think". Born not in small part from
>your ignorance of how the use of bar diagrams develops throughout
>the curriculum, as well as your reactionary response to approaches
>different from your own.
>
>And, again, NOT your version, if you refer to the sundae/bush
>problems. Yes, your mistaken version if you refer to the tart
>problem with its different unknown requiring a different approach.
>
>And, please, could you not include my email address in your
>reply? It is appearing in your replies for any and all to see. Thanks.
>
>Pam

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/11/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Jonathan Crabtree
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Pam
11/15/13
[...]
11/17/13
[...]
11/18/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/21/13
[...]
GS Chandy
11/17/13
[...]
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/22/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/23/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
GS Chandy
11/24/13