Topic: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Replies: 61   Last Post: Dec 11, 2013 11:12 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
att1.html (3.1 K)

On Nov 25, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> R Hansen says:
>> And, if we take that the smallest actual "point" on a drawn line would be represented by the centers of the molecules or atoms of the ink/lead, then I would suspect that those locations are all at irrational distances from the end (transcendental in fact).
>
> Really? You think physical distances are truly all irrational? And then what distance could ever be demarcated as 1?

Not only irrational, but transcendental (not algebraic). I am talking about the actual positions of the molecules and atoms, although they are moving, but you know what I mean. The argument is not much different than what you said about the improbability (impossibility) of a ray of light ever hitting a particular number. I am saying that said ray will not even hit any algebraic number. We know the ray of light will hit a number, I am saying that number will always be transcendental. But don't ask me for a formal proof.:)

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
11/21/13
Read Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Jerry P. Becker
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Dave L. Renfro
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/24/13
[...]
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Louis Talman
11/26/13
[...]
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/11/13