Topic: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Replies: 61   Last Post: Dec 11, 2013 11:12 PM

Gary Tupper

Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
att1.html (3.3 K)

On 11/25/2013 1:59 PM, Robert Hansen wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Gary Tupper <gtupper@peda.com
> <mailto:gtupper@peda.com>> wrote:
>

>> So - what would we make of a line that that blinked red & blue, with
>> a single pixel blinking green?

> After my epileptic fit or during?:)
>
> I don't understand what you are suggesting by color. That sounds more
> like a symbol than a model. For example, the open circle denoting a
> missing point is a notational device or symbol. A model of a missing
> point would a very tiny gap in the line, but that would be a poor
> model and wouldn't work at the end of the line, thus the use of
> symbols instead.
>
> Bob Hansen

Hi, Bob:

Actually, the gap would be smaller than 'tiny' since its width would be
zero. We should remember that any physical representation of a
mathematical object is a model. The objective of our model is
essentially to impart information - the open circle on a curve is
interpreted to mean that a single point is missing.

Take, for example, the graph of y=x^2 /(x-1) :
Usually drawn as a parabola with a hollow dot at (1,1).

On a computer screen, a blinking pixel at (1,1) can impart the same
information. If we "zoom in" to that pixel on the computer screen, the
display will remain - a blinking pixel. (unless we exceed the computer's
display resolution, which I imagine depends on the computer's numerical
capabilities.)

BTW, although we are usually interested in the graph of the solution of
y=x^2/(x-1) over a region of the plane, and therefore draw the hollow
dot at (1,1), we should realize that the division by x-1 affects the
whole plane - ie the whole line x=1 is 'removed'. Maybe the easiest way
to visualize this is to ask about 'truth':
So, for y=x^2/(x-1), what about (2,4)? It satisfies the equation - ie
'true', What about (2,3)? - it generates 'false'. What about (1,1)? And
what about (2,1)?

Gary Tupper

Date Subject Author
11/21/13
Read Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Jerry P. Becker
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Dave L. Renfro
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/24/13
[...]
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Louis Talman
11/26/13
[...]
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/11/13