Topic: How to recover floating document view in R2012b editor?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Nov 26, 2013 5:03 AM

Richard Kennaway

Re: How to recover floating document view in R2012b editor? (and R2013b)

"Richard Kennaway" <jrk@cmp.uea.ac.uk.ignore.this.bit> wrote in message <k5s1hm$7ie$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> In the editor in R2012b, I accidentally switched to single document view, and now I find I can't get back to the only view I find usable, floating document view, i.e. multiple overlapping document windows in the editor window.

Despite Mathworks themselves saying that the feature has been removed, I have discovered that it has not been, and is still implemented in 2013b. It is merely not exposed in the GUI.

The place where Matlab stores the setting is MATLABDesktop.xml, which is in ~/.matlab/(Matlab version). To recover the floating view, find the <DocumentArea> element and change the value of the Arrangement attribute to "floating". If there's more than one <DocumentArea>, use the one whose parent has attributes obviously relating it to the editor. Of course, back up the file before modifying it.

So, Mathworks, can I request that this feature remain, and perhaps be exposed in the GUI again? What was the process by which you decided to remove it?