Topic: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Replies: 61   Last Post: Dec 11, 2013 11:12 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
att1.html (2.4 K)

On Nov 27, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> But -- now describe a process that "selects" that non-computable number. The best I could come up would be
> a Geiger-counter driven digit generator. But it would never get to the end of that first number. That "dart" would never really reach the board! So saying "pick a random real ...." really hides quite a bit of sisyphean effort.

It's mathematics, not physics. This reminds me of a past discussion we had regarding imaginary numbers equal to SQRT(-1).

Computable and uncomputable numbers both have an infinite number of decimal digits. A more formal argument would probably look at these numbers using a finite precision, N and prove that as the number of digits increase without bound (N -> infinity) the probability (P) approaches zero. You are ok with limits, right? Or is analysis and calculus suspect because of the impossibility of ever actually reaching infinity?

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
11/21/13
Read Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Jerry P. Becker
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Dave L. Renfro
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Gary Tupper
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/25/13
Read Re: Fwd: Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/21/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/24/13
[...]
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/26/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Louis Talman
11/26/13
[...]
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/27/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/28/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Robert Hansen
11/29/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
GS Chandy
12/4/13
Read Re: Visual Presentation of Real Number System
Joe Niederberger
12/11/13