Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2013 16:53:04 UTC+1 schrieb christian.bau:
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 1:36:40 PM UTC, WM wrote:
>

> > Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2013 09:09:39 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:
>
> > > The proof proceeds by Contradiction. We assume the Set of Real Numbers is Countable, and thus can be exhausted in a Sequence.
>

> > And that is the point at which further reading is absolutely useless.
>

> Please explain your reasoning. I didn't find anything wrong with the proof,

that puts you in aline with thousands of mathematicians.

> and if I missed something, I'm quite sure it's fixable.

That is not an argument.

The set of positive rational numbers that is less than the natural number n and has not been enumerated by the first n natural numbers grows with n. It is impossible eneumerate all rational numbers, i.e., to remove all rationals from the state of being not enumerated to the state of being enumerated.

Here the intentional confusion of "for every n in |N" and "for all n in |N" has been used. It has been neglected that beyond every n there are infinitely many following, such that never all can have been used.

M_0 = empty set, M_{n+1} = (M_n U (n-1, n]) - {q_n}
where (n, n+1] is the semi-opem interval that contains all rational numbers q with n < q =< n+1 and q_n is the n-th rational in Cantor's enumeration of all rationals.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
William Elliot