Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Virgil

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

In article <a9a6cf76-944e-4ad4-8a7f-9814c5866f9c@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2013 09:09:39 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:
> > The following is a Proof of the Uncountability of the Set of real Numbers.
> > Please note that it avoids the use the Representation of the Real Numbers
> > as Infinite Decimals. It uses only the Property of Completeness (that
> > every Set of Real Numbers that is bounded above has a Least Upper Bound
> > which is a Real Number); and some Properties due to the Ordering of the
> > Real Numbers, such as if x is Real Number then there exist Real Numbers a
> > and b such that a < b and x ~e [ a, b ].
> >

> > The proof proceeds by Contradiction. We assume the Set of Real Numbers is
> > Countable, and thus can be exhausted in a Sequence.

> And that is the point at which further reading is absolutely useless.

Only for those whose minds are closed

> M_1 = empty set, M_{n+1} = (M_n U (n-1, n]) - {q_n}
> wher (n, n+1] is the semi-opem interval that contains all rational numbers q
> with n < q =< n+1 and q_n is the n-th rational in Cantor's enumeration of
> all rationals.
>
> The notion of countability requires that lim M_n = { } for n --> oo.
> No sober mind will accept that.

Then by WM's own argument, every sober mind will necessarily accept
uncountability.

> > I find the proof rather straight forward. Question, comments, suggestions
> > and corrections are welcome.

> What step produces the first undefinable number from a given set of defined
> numbers?

Undefineable numbers are not individually accessible, because
individually accessible numbers are, by that very accessability,
defineable.

It is a shame that WM has not learned how to think well enough to
prevent him from asking stupid questions.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de